Devin and Owen

Devin and Owen

Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Hello All! Update 3.18.2020

Okay all, it’s been a bit as usual! The last six months have been full of life in many ways, good, difficult, fun, hectic, everything it’s suppose to be I guess. But since there is lots of downtime right now I figured it would a good chance to write up an update.

After I got my clean bill of health, as far as clean goes for me anyways, we took off running into a fall full of weddings, our first anniversary, more dog training classes, vacation, appointments and more. Owen recovered well from his wrist surgery and is back to bowling! Otherwise everyone is happy and healthy and hopeful that this whole corona virus mayhem ends very soon!

As for the medical side of things, things have been status quo. The suppression plan for my thrush management is working really well and I have been thrush free for a few months now. My thyroid is still a roller coaster and we are still working to find the right dose to manage my hormone level. Dental needs are what they are, frequent, annoying, and just overall a part of life.

My pain and the way it impacts my function continues to be my main concern. Throughout the fall and into December, life was a bit hectic all around. Work was crazy and things were very busy, so my headaches and jaw pain were through the roof when my botox injections from early October wore off. I was extremely reliant on medicines, stretches, pain rubs, essential oils, all the things, to get through the day. It was an exhausting few weeks. By the end of the day I couldn’t look down without pain and had to prop my head on the back of the couch to do my sudoku puzzles or read a book spasm free. We went to my physical medicine doc at Penn in January to re-evaluate my plan and needs. I opted to wait on my next round of injections. They are simply a band aid to cover up the pain caused by my damaged muscles and nerves, not a long term solution to fix the problem. Ultimately that solution may never exist and bandaids may be all I have access too. Nonetheless, I was given the go ahead by her and my Oncologist to trial laser treatments to help with my pain.

Okay. Buckle up. This gets a little complicated. Up until now, deep tissue laser isn’t something I could try because of my cancer history. Those of you in healthcare will know this, but, if there is the potential that active cancer cells are residing in a certain area, deep heat will increase the blood flow to those cells and promote their growth. Pretty much the equivalent of adding fertilizer to planted seeds that already have water and sunlight. That would be bad news all around of course. So we needed to ensure that my carcinoma wasn’t just hiding, but actually defeated. As we learned from my surgeon in August, this risk of this cancer returning from the same tumor source is nearly zero. So, with the amount of pain I am limited by on a daily basis, those odds were beyond good enough.

So thanks to a great recommendation, I had a consultation with an outpatient clinic closer to home that was willing to see me after talking with my doctors. The treatments center around my neck, my jaw and my head, spending a specific amount of time and strength on each area. They use different heads, like a large roller ball or a smaller one to target my jaw. It’s about 20 minutes of sitting still, eyes closed, relaxation with this warm piece being moved all around those areas. The warmth is artificial to make it more enjoyable, so I feel no heat from the laser itself. At this point I am going for treatment twice a week and am about 6-7 weeks in. The challenge is there is no “protocol” for someone like me, shocking I know. So we are moving forward completely based on results. Unfortunately that requires me to be very in-tune with how I feel on a day to day basis and what’s changed for the positive, even little things, which isn’t as easy as it sounds, especially if my daily routine changes at all.
After my very first treatment, I had an extremely significant realization. I didn’t have ANY pain for a solid 15 minutes. Over the past five years I don’t think I have fully recognized the level of discomfort I have been living with on a daily basis.
The more severe pain of headaches and jaw/neck spasm which impact my ability to talk, eat, work and live in general were such a focus the the day to day chronic pieces seemed to just become normal. Until they were gone. Even though is was brief, if gave me a reminder of what life was before cancer and what I hope one day I might have back.

Since that first visit, the changes have been much more gradual but very much present. My headaches are less frequent and less intense, letting me get through my work day and be able to focus and not feel like I just want to shut my eyes for the ride home. My neck spasms are rare in most positions and I don’t have to lay my head back on the couch out of necessity at the end of most days, although these moments can still happen. My jaw is the most notable change. I have been able to go days at a time using only over the counter alleve and not turning to my stronger pain medicines, including days that are full and I am actively talking all day long. This is enormous. Getting off these medications has been the goal and the injections have not helped that along. Of course I am not there yet, but the results at this point make me open to continue. Unfortunately there are a lot of unknowns because, as we are all aware, I am completely abnormal. There is no way of knowing if or when the improvements will plateau or if they will last long term. And the research for laser treatment on fibrotic tissue is limited, especially for head and neck cancers. So that just means I keep doing what feels like the next right thing and hope for the best.

I was suppose to have a lot of my general follow ups this month at Penn, but with the current events all have been postponed. My work life is very light also, which is good and bad. Good Shepherd is really trying to find all opportunities for us to help in areas that have to remain open, and I have decided to use some of the extra time when nothing is available to take a few online classes I have been holding on to and try to enjoy the time with Owen and our hairy kids who are very happy to have the daily company.

It’s amazing to me how fragile our world becomes when something like this happens, and how it sheds a light on the true nature of the people around you. (Shout out to the crazy people that took all the bread 🤦🏻‍♀️). Some people are home indefinitely right now, and many others that do not work essential jobs should be. I’m sure if this was happening when I was actively sick, I would be terrified and mad at the social gatherings that still seem to be happening. I wouldn’t only be fearful of Covid-19 itself, but also the potential shortage of the supplies I relied on to survive and remain infection free. Or delays on shipment of those items because of backlogs. Additionally, as a healthcare professional, I shouldn’t have to ration protective and sanitation supplies needed to keep myself, my coworkers and my patients safe, because people are losing their minds and buying it all just to choose to not stay home with their stock piles.

If you or someone you know is complaining about social distancing, hoarding a year’s worth of toilet paper, or pissed off that their favorite bar is closed, feel free to refer them here. I will be happy to educate them on how much control they have over how long this lasts and how beneficial the time can be if they make it so. I lived nearly 18 months full of days with just me and my dogs while family worked. Those days were full of sickness, pain, naps, and medical needs initially. But soon they became focused on my physical and mental health when I couldn’t yet return to work or enjoy going out to social events, but felt well enough to add life back into my time at home. It’s all doable if you make it so. It’s not the end of the world if you can’t hang out with friends or wander the mall or eat out for a little while. I promise.

My piece of advice when you want to complain or go out unnecessarily, live your current life like a cancer patient lives every day of theirs. Even if you don’t feel like it’s a big deal to you, it can be to those around you. And you have the power to help.

Of course, wash your hands and don’t touch your face. Stay at home unless you need to go to the store or pharmacy.
Practice good self care. Sit outside. Take a deep breath. Go for a walk. Exercise if you want. Take a nap if you feel like it. Find new ways to fill your time. Get started in your spring cleaning. Take a class. Prep some meals. Read a new book. Foster a pet. Learn a craft. Meditate. Play and cuddle a little extra with your dog. Call your Mom. And most of all, be thankful for what you have. Don’t panic about what you can’t control, and do your research and be proactive about the things you can control.

Life is different and routines have changed. It’s a scary time in the world. But life isn’t over and we will be okay and stronger for it when this passes. However, if you act like you only care about you, people will remember you for that.

Okay, I’m off my soap box. Thank you all as always for taking the time to read and care. Here’s to five years free this summer!

Be well!
Xoxo Devin

No comments:

Post a Comment